Opening a bank account in France is quite an
experience. Pretty much all business
transactions, like bills, are paid by bank transfer in France. In the US, a bank transfer (a.k.a. a wire
transfer) is uncommon and expensive. Here
it is free and it is like paying your bills online with a credit card. Hardly anyone takes a credit card here
because it costs them money. In any
case, we needed to open a bank account to have checks and to make bank
transfers to pay our bills.
In talking to another American, we had found out that it is
a major pain to transfer your account from one branch to another if you move to
a different part of town. Her advice was
to open the account where we would be living, not where we were living
temporarily to avoid that whole fiasco.
Since we needed the account before we had found a new apartment, we
decided to open the account at a branch near Elizabeth’s school. We figured it would be a convenient location
because we’d be there twice a day anyway.
On Monday (two weeks ago), I researched the best bank and
called them to make sure they were open so we could open a bank account. The phone number from their website didn’t
have a person at the other end, just a service that cost money to call. The hours were posted on the web, so we decided
to go directly in person. On Tuesday, we
took the metro to the 15th arrondissement to the BNP Paribas bank
branch, a few blocks from Elizabeth’s school.
We went in and asked to open an account and were told that we needed an
appointment to do that and the next available appointment wasn’t until the following
day. So, we went back home and took the
metro back in on Wednesday.
For our appointment, we went back to the manager’s office,
showed him all of our documents (passports, marriage license, rental contract
for proof of residence, and even Elizabeth’s birth certificate when asked). After he judged us skeptically for about 10
minutes, eyeing us for our different names and our move to Paris, he finally
told us that we couldn’t open an account in a different arrondissement from
where we lived. He said the bank would
never approve it. He added that, once we
opened the account at our neighborhood branch, we would, of course, be free to
use the ATMs and electronic banking on the web anywhere in France. He was nice enough to offer to find the
branch closest to our apartment and I asked him if he could help us call them
to make an appointment because the phone number on the web didn’t work. He looked up a direct phone number for me to
call for an appointment.
On Thursday, I called and made an appointment at our local
branch for Friday. On Friday, we went in
all over again. Luckily, the woman there
was extremely nice. It took us an hour
and a half to go through the bureaucracy of opening an account and we ran into
one snag along the way. Our rental
contract was not good enough proof of residence. Neither was our cell phone bill. She wanted a utility bill or a bill for a
fixed phone. None of that is in our
name, so we couldn’t offer it. Then she
asked about our rental insurance. I said
we had none and quickly was informed that it is mandatory in France to have
renter’s insurance. Oh, well. The manager overlooked our infraction and
said that she had another option. She
could send me a certified letter that I would have to sign for to prove that I
lived at the address on the rental contract.
(We also had to write a letter to her there saying that John lived with
me.) We were all happy to have found a
solution. We left the office with all of
our account paperwork filled out but without a working bank account. She said she’d call us when the certified
mail was received back to her.
The challenge with receiving a certified letter is that we
don’t have a mailbox or an address on our door.
All of our mail is delivered to the concierge who then hand delivers it
to us. Therefore, I raced back home from
the bank and talked to the concierge about the certified mail. I told her that she couldn’t sign it and that
I needed to so we could prove that we lived here. She got it and said she’d bring the mail
carrier over when it came.
This was Friday, so I had to wait till Monday for the
possibility of the certified letter. I
waited around all day and it never came.
On Tuesday, I waited around all day and it never came. The concierge even seemed confused that it
hadn’t come yet. On Wednesday we had
appointments and had to go out. Thursday
morning, it finally came. The concierge
and the mail carrier showed up at my dining room window (door) and I signed the
paperwork. I opened the package that
came with it, hoping it would be checks or something, but it consisted of two
brochures for the bank. I laughed at the
ruse for sending me a certified letter.
I wonder how much longer I will have to wait to have an operational bank
account.
No comments:
Post a Comment