It is cold and rainy in Paris and it has been since the beginning of
October. As much as I prefer warm sunny
weather, I’ve come to terms with it. I
bought a good quality umbrella at the umbrella store near our house—yes there
is a store that sells only umbrellas!
And it’s been in business since the 1800s for good reason. I wear boots and several layers, including a
scarf, hat and gloves. The bundling
works well until I go into the Metro.
Then I am boiling hot and have to peel down the layers and carry
them. The French don’t seem to have that
problem though. According to my
observations, they put on their coats and scarves in the morning and keep them
on all day, no matter where they are.
They sit in the outdoor cafes with an awning overhead and plastic sheets
hanging down the sides to avoid the rain. Sometimes there are heaters up above. Regardless, the French sit at outdoor tables
in the cold rain and keep their coats and scarves on while they eat and
drink. They don’t seem to get cold. They don’t get hot either. They wear these very same coats and scarves
into the Metro, which seems to be about 78 degrees in winter and summer. They ride the trains with their coats and
scarves on, not even unbuttoned. Then
they walk back out into the rain and wind in the same clothes. (They do carry umbrellas though.)
No comments:
Post a Comment