Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Saturday Outing in December



I know every family has their days when the best intentions lead to grumpiness and displeasure, but here in France, with our impatient, coddled, uncompromising American family, we tend to find it more typical than not.  I try to look back on these days with a sense of humor, but it doesn’t always help getting through them at the time.  Hopefully, you’ll see the humor in this rendition of a family outing.

One Saturday in December the three of us happily accepted an invitation to meet a mom friend and her daughter to go ice skating at the newly opened “largest ice skating rink in Paris” at the Grand Palais.  How fun!  Elizabeth and I had flute lessons at 2:00, so I said it had to be in the morning.  We agreed to meet at the skate rental at 11:30.  I wanted to get there a little earlier to get us set up so we could get on the ice as soon as possible, given our deadline.  Elizabeth never skates for more than an hour, so I figured we had plenty of time, even if we didn’t get on the ice until noon.  We all were very excited.

On Saturday morning, I made the dire mistake of thinking I could sleep in an extra half hour.  At 10:45 the three of us blasted out of our apartment all in a fury: me complaining to my iphone obsessed husband that he didn’t help me get our lipgloss obsessed tween out the door; our tween complaining to both of us that she had to take the smelly metro; the husband complaining to himself that he came at all.

At 11:20, rushed and cranky, the three of us arrived at the Grand Palais, to find that it was barricaded off with guards out front.  I approached a guard and told him that we had advanced purchased tickets and asked where to go.  He pointed to the line to the right.  We walked through a fenced in pathway created for an anticipated long (Disney like) line and got behind the folks who were waiting.  There weren’t many people in line, maybe 20 or so.  We waited for about 10 minutes and Elizabeth started complaining.  “I’m bored!  How long is this going to take?”  I said I didn’t know.  She told me to ask the guard, but I was tired of trying to get stuff from French people and being told it was "impossible."  John wouldn’t ask either.  She complained more loudly.  I told her to ask him herself and gave her the French words to do it, but she refused and complained even more loudly.  Finally, the woman in front of us turned around and said in a British accent that we wouldn’t be let in until noon.  They had changed the opening hours at the last minute from 10 a.m. till noon.  “How French!” she added.  We stood there some more, John complaining and freezing because he hadn’t brought a hat or gloves, Elizabeth still complaining about the wait, me trying to figure out what to do while looking for our late friends.

At this point I started to worry a little bit about making our flute lessons at 2:00.  John told me I had over scheduled.  Elizabeth said she didn’t want to do a flute lesson anyway.  I texted the flute teacher to ask to push the lesson back by a half hour.  She suggested we enjoy ice skating and reschedule for a different day, freeing us up until my workout at 5:00.  A little tension released.

Our friends were still nowhere to be seen and I was texting the mom back and forth to try to meet up.  She was waiting for her nanny to drop off her daughter in front of the Grand Palais.  I looked over and saw her, just as a man brought a sign out that said “for e-tickets.”  We had e-tickets and were standing in the other line, which by now was hundreds of people long.  I climbed through the fence to go over to check it out.  Sure enough, that was a new line that had been set up for people like us.  I waved Elizabeth and John over.  My friend had been standing there purely by chance—waiting for her nanny out front—so we all got in at the front of the line, which by now was about 30 people long.  Her daughter arrived and we waited, Elizabeth cheered up by her playmate and John and I cheered up by having someone else to talk to besides each other.

At just after noon, the guards let us through the barricade, but we had to go to the ticket booth to exchange our e-tickets for paper tickets to get in the door.  The scanner was down.  We waited another 5-10 minutes for them to sort that out.  We got through that complication and went inside.  There we saw another line for skate rentals.  (It was mandatory to use their skates and the rental was included in the entrance fee.)  That line was pretty long because others had gotten in ahead of us while some of the scanners weren’t working.  There weren’t that many people though—maybe 30-40.  We waited 45 minutes, mostly standing completely still because the line didn’t move, until we got to get skates.  The French guy in front of us said, “It wouldn’t be French without a line.”  We finally got on the ice shortly before 1:00.  By then, we had almost forgotten what we had come for!

We were pleased to see that the rink was pretty big, like a normal skating rink size, not a mini holiday size.  It was surprisingly warm inside the Grand Palais—no coats needed but nowhere to put them.  We all commented on how it must be hard to keep the ice frozen with such warm air.  Ahh, but they didn’t.  The ice was melting all over, just like when you skate in Coronado on the beach.  It was also all cut up because it seems that many VIPs had been let in early to skate ahead of the crowd.  John and our friend complained that their skates had stoppers (jagged points) on the toes that were so low that they were getting stuck on the ice.  John’s got stuck and he fell, got soaked, and said he was done.  It was 1:15.  He got off the ice and said he’d wait over at the tables and chairs where they sold hot chocolate and hot wine.  He sat there and played on his iphone.

The rest of us skated for a while, stopped for hot chocolates at the ice-side bar on the side of the rink with a special lane for bar goers.  How delightfully French!  (No, they wouldn’t sell hot wine on the rink.  You had to take your skates off for that.  Bummer.  Not so French after all.  But still, in what American rink can you skate into the bar lane to get hot chocolate?)  Shortly after that, Elizabeth started complaining that she was tired and her feet hurt.  We got off the ice at about 1:45, said goodbye to our friends, and left by 2:00.  We could have made our flute lesson after all!  Well, not really, as you soon shall see.

We were hungry and there was nothing gluten-free at the rink so we decided to go to a café we had been to before and liked just around the corner.  We went in and got the last table.  I ordered the cheeseburger for Elizabeth without the bun.  The waiter said he couldn’t do that.  He couldn’t take the bread off of the burger.  This is the typical occurrence I was referring to about things being “impossible” in France.  So I ordered the “steak haché” (plain hamburger patty on a plate) on the kids menu and asked for a supplement (to pay extra) of cheese on the burger.  This often works, but again, the waiter said he couldn’t add cheese to the steak haché, even if I paid extra.  It was “impossible.”  Elizabeth said she refused to eat a burger without cheese.  I asked if they served omelets.  Elizabeth cried out that she didn’t want an omelet while the waiter said “yes” and that he’d be right back with another menu.  John said he didn’t want to eat there if they wouldn’t give Elizabeth a cheeseburger with no bun.  Are we having fun yet?

I was very hungry and didn’t want to search for another place to eat in an area that didn’t have much, and I had a workout at 5:00 I had to get to, so I forged ahead.  I asked Elizabeth if she would please be flexible and eat an omelet today.  She agreed to, “but just a little.”  The waiter brought the “snack” menu, which had omelets on it.  John said he was going to order the cheapest thing on the menu—a cheese sandwich—to not give them much business because the waiter had been unhelpful.  I ordered two omelets and a plate of fries for Elizabeth and me to share.  The food came, piece meal, with John’s sandwich first, then the fries, then the omelets.  It took forever.  John wolfed down his sandwich and asked to share the fries.  Elizabeth said “no.”  I didn’t argue, even though it was exceptionally rude, because he had ordered a small sandwich out of spite and I thought he should live with his decision—and I was hungry.  Elizabeth and I finished the fries.  And then we began the long process of trying to get the waiter’s attention to pay the bill…

We got out of there at around 4:00 and went to the metro.  We went along Champs-Elysées, which was mobbed to beyond capacity because of the Christmas market.  We literally couldn’t even walk because there were so many people.  John went off to do some Christmas shopping.  Elizabeth and I managed to wedge ourselves forward half a block and then I found a path through the park behind the market that took us to another sidewalk to the metro station.  We got to the entrance to the station and had to wait in a long line just to get to the stairs to descend to the station.  It was so crowded with people we could barely move.  As we got to the platform, a train was there but it was full so we had to wait for the next one.  It was only 2 minutes, so we felt lucky.  But in those two minutes, the platform filled up again and Elizabeth and I were so squished on the subway that we were literally held up by the people around us and I had to hold onto her shoulders to open up a space for her to breathe.  (I feel sorry for kids on crowded subways!)  We made it home just in time for my workout at 5:00.  Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment