When I lived in Germany for a year back in 1994, I learned
how to be more socially graceful. I had
left a frenetic Silicon Valley for a small town on the French border of
Germany. There I learned to include
greetings in my emails instead of jotting off 1-2 incomplete sentences. I also learned to stop and talk to people
when I saw them. I found it a very
strange phenomenon when I walked through Saarbrucken with a German friend and we
ran into a third friend and stopped to talk for a solid 10 minutes. I asked my friend about this because I was
used to waving or shouting “hi” from across the street to friends in
passing. He said that would be utterly
rude in Germany. You have to stop and
have a conversation with a friend. You
can’t just give them a wave. But what
happens when you’re in a hurry, I asked.
He said you always have to leave early in case you run into
someone. Radical. Leave early.
Just in case. Socialize with a
friend. Wow. And Germans are known for being punctual. So they do manage to show up on time and
still be social. I learned a lot that
year. It was a time where the U.S. was
trying to become “kinder and gentler” and I was too, but from lessons learned
abroad.
When I lived in France for a year—the following year, after
marrying John—I learned some more lessons.
Most importantly, I learned that manners and charm will get you a
lot. Back then, French waiters and
shopkeepers were still rude, especially to Americans. I had learned from a dear French teacher in
Nice to never ever enter a store and merely say “bonjour.” You had to say “Bonjour Madame” or “Bonjour Monsieur.” That helped a lot. I also learned from watching French people in
action. One of my fond memories was
watching our rental agent meet John’s boss at the French law firm where he did
an internship. He was sponsoring us. She called the boss “Maitre,” an esteemed
address to a lawyer. They both flirted
with each other the entire time and we got the apartment we wanted with no
troubles at all. I also saw a French man
checking in at the airport one time and learned a great deal from him. His suitcase weighed more than the allotted
amount. He flirted with the airline
agent and charmingly lifted the suitcase slightly so it appeared to weigh
less. Swept away with his charm, she let
the suitcase on with no extra charge. It
had never occurred to me to try anything like that before. I’m not sure if it works as well in the U.S.
as it does in France, but it certainly is an effective way to get things done
here.
This year, I am honing my charm. I have done more reconnaissance to fine tune
my skills. My French friend has drummed
it into my head that a smile makes a huge difference. Just a side note on that. It is very easy for Americans to smile and a
little confusing as to why you wouldn’t smile.
For French, however, it doesn’t come naturally. French people walk around with scowls on
their faces. They look angry, in my
opinion. When they give a smile, they
really mean it. They don’t give them
away for free. I am a very smiley person
so it is an easy gesture for me. In
fact, it gets me into trouble because men see me smiling at them and get the
wrong idea!
I had a run in at a café near my house recently and found
that charm and manners earned me a best buddy.
Elizabeth and I went to lunch at one of our regular spots, Le
Soufflot. A different waiter was there
that day—a woman probably about my age or older. I asked her if it was possible to order the “omelette
complete” (ham, cheese, potatoes) without the cheese, just ham and
potatoes. She said that was fine. When it showed up, however, it had cheese and
potatoes. I politely got her attention
and told her the problem. She argued and
said that I had ordered cheese and potatoes.
I then explained that I was allergic to cheese so I didn’t order cheese
and that I couldn’t eat it. She gruffly
said she’d go check to see what the order was, leaving the omelet there. A few minutes later, she came back and,
barely speaking to me, said that she’d replace the omelet and left, still with
the omelet in front of me on the table.
I dipped into Elizabeth’s French fries and chicken while we waited to
see if indeed I would get a new omelet.
Several minutes later the waitress swapped the omelets.
This is one of our favorite restaurants so I didn’t want to
leave on bad terms. When I got the bill,
I placed a 2€ tip on the table in plain view before I got my credit card
out. I also told her that the omelet had
been perfect and thanked her for it. She
warmed up instantly and we even chatted for a couple of minutes. Then Elizabeth and I got up to leave. Elizabeth bumped the table slightly as she
stood up and the bottle of ketchup fell over and smashed onto the floor and
sprayed everywhere. I almost died. The waitress smiled and said it was no
problem at all.
The three of us went back there to eat this week and she was
there. We had the best conversation for
5-10 minutes about the weather, how we had all caught colds, and how the French
take the most antibiotics of anyone, and also the most antidepressants (she
noted).
I’ve learned that manners and charm help out a lot and they might go far back at home too. I feel like Americans escalate things so quickly, forgetting that we’re all just people, and we all like to be treated nicely even if we make a mistake. Here in France it’s slightly different because people are so worried about getting in trouble for making a mistake that they don’t want to admit it, thus the customer is rarely right. But if you overlook that and help the person fix it, then everyone is happy in the end.
I’ve learned that manners and charm help out a lot and they might go far back at home too. I feel like Americans escalate things so quickly, forgetting that we’re all just people, and we all like to be treated nicely even if we make a mistake. Here in France it’s slightly different because people are so worried about getting in trouble for making a mistake that they don’t want to admit it, thus the customer is rarely right. But if you overlook that and help the person fix it, then everyone is happy in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment