We took Elizabeth out to the school bus this morning at 7:45
in the pitch black. The sidewalk
glistened more than normal and I could see that it was raining. “Bummer!” I thought. Then I looked up at the school bus and saw a
layer of snow on the roof.
Instinctually, I ran over to the bus, swiped a large bunch of wet snow
off, tucked it into a snowball, and turned around and beaned Elizabeth in the
shoulder with it. It was a perfect hit
and snow sprayed everywhere. Elizabeth
was thrilled! The bus driver looked at
me like I was insane. I told her that
snow doesn’t exist in San Diego. Then
she nodded like she understood while Elizabeth climbed into the bus, covered in
snow, with a giant smile on her face.
The weather. It’s not
too much of a conversation piece in San Diego, but we still use it in small
talk. If it rains, it is certainly the
talk of the town. But in climates where
there is bad weather, it is not only a topic of small talk, but a topic of all
talk. When I call home to Boston it is
always on top of the list. Here in
Paris, it is similar. Rightly so. First of all, there is often a lot of variety
in the weather in just one day. It can
go from blisteringly cold, windy and rainy to warm and sunny and back to cold and
maybe some rain again within mere hours.
It’s usually warmest late in the afternoon, like 4-5, not at
midday. Frankly, that is not so
important at this time of year, as it may go from 39 degrees to 42
degrees. Tomorrow’s high is forecasted
to be 34 degrees.
I can deal with cold temperatures. I’ve got a system down. In fact, I ordered two pairs of ski socks
from Amazon France and they arrived this week.
I wear them inside my fur lined snow boots with pants, an undershirt,
turtleneck, sweater and scarf. Then I
put on my long down parka that reaches almost to the top of my boots. I wrap another—wool—scarf around my neck, put
on a fur lined hat that covers my ears, and gloves. I bring an umbrella in my purse and I’m ready
for anything.
The part that is hard to deal with is the grey. It is so dark out during the day here that
you can’t tell if it is day or night.
Seriously. They keep the
Christmas lights on all day long here and you can see them because it is so
dark out. The other day, we walked out
of a café after lunch and it was so dark out I had to question whether we had
stayed for hours longer than I had realized.
I looked down at my watch and it was 2:00 in the afternoon. It looked like dusk. Not that dusk is that much later. I watch the sun rise between 8:30 and 9:00 in
the morning. Sunset sometimes starts at
3:00 in the afternoon. I say “sometimes”
because that is only when you can see pink in the sky. Usually it just goes from grey to black
sometime between 4:00-5:00. All of this
darkness sure does give reason for Paris to be the City of Lights.
No comments:
Post a Comment